Monday, July 6, 2020

Utah Mixed Epic and Kids on Bikes


It’s been a long break from the blogging world since the Tour Divide. So much has changed since then but yet much remains the same. Changes of course include the whole world turned upside down with the Corona Virus. What remains the same is my sincere gratitude for my employer, friends, family and my ability to continue to push myself in endurance activities. Toward the end of 2019, the Cheyenne Mountain High School Mountain Bike Team stepped up and participated in a 24 hour indoor bike relay race to raise funds for Kids on Bikes. We formed three teams;  1) the high school racers, 2) coaches, parents, and alumni, and 3) myself who rode solo. Friends and family supported in a big way by donating to Kids on Bikes and my employer, Plus3 IT Systems, matched donations to help our Team raise over $5,000. This will go a long way in promoting healthy lifestyles for underserved kids in our region. Not to mention the incredible joy it brings to so many of these kids.


Kids on Bikes is an organization for which I feel a strong connection. I come from a similar background as many of these kids, and I know the difference a chance to explore a different world can make. Kids on Bikes give these kids that chance. What I really like and respect about Kids on Bikes is they don’t just give away bikes and walk away. First, the kids are required to earn their bike, then Kids on Bikes sticks with them, offering programs like bike camps, maintenance clinics, and the promotion of healthy life styles.


With all that said, I am going to embark on a new adventure called the Utah Mixed Epic (UME). UME is a 1.000 mile self supported bike race through the mountains, desert, and back country of Utah starting in Salt Lake City and ending in St. George. I am dedicating this race to Kids on Bikes and using it as a fundraiser to support their virtuous cause. I am super excited for this opportunity to still at age 63, (the race starts the day before my 63 birthday) be able to take on such a challenge and use it to give back to our community. Training has been amazing and I feel I am up for the challenge.


Again I am so grateful to be able to do this, and that we can use this event to help a whole bunch of kids.  I’l be posting regular statuses on preparation and reports throughout the race. 


You can show your support of Kids on Bikes at https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/ODg0NzA=



No comments:

Post a Comment