Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spring Time in Colorado!

CRUD Run - Red Rocks
(Photo by Steve Bremner)

It’s been a typical March week in Colorado. One day in the 60s the next a snow storm, followed by 60s, followed by a snow storm, followed by…

This week was a semi recovery week following Bataan. I was REALLY sore on Monday, but with only two weeks until DawnTillDusk, there is no rest for the wicked, especially after seeing how hard Andy_Henshaw works out. Andy is definitely an up and coming star in the Ultra world. He makes me feel like a wimp, although he did say he considers me an OG Bad Ass (Old Generation), which made me feel a little better… I think.

Monday was a rest day. I pretty much hobbled around the office while everyone made fun of my condition. I did start stretching, something I am going to do consistently from now on. Tuesday was an easy ride home from work which really helped loosen things up. On the way, I came up on Andy and Harsha doing interval workouts and rode along with them. OK get this. Andy was nearing 40 miles as I rode along with him on one of his 4 eight mile tempo runs. Each of his tempo runs were sub 6:30 pace. I rode with him on his 4th eight mile tempo and he averaged 6:15! Makes me feel like a slacker. It was just starting to rain as I left him and by the time I got home it was snowing pretty hard.

Tuesday was an easy ride home from work which really helped loosen things up. On the way, I came up on Andy and Harsha doing interval workouts and rode along with them. OK get this. Andy was nearing 40 miles as I rode along with him on one of his 4 eight mile tempo runs. Each of his tempo runs were sub 6:30 pace. I rode with him on his 4th eight mile tempo and he averaged 6:15! Makes me feel like a slacker. It was just starting to rain as I left him and by the time I got home it was snowing pretty hard.

Wednesday, woke up to 6 inches of snow. Since I rode my bike home and my truck was at work, I had to run to work. It was pretty slow going running in deep snow, and some sections were icy. It’s just under 15 miles to work, but I took a couple short cuts and got it down to 14. Note to self: When running to work, don’t pack a bowl of salad in my backpack. It looks like it went through a blender.

Thursday, I was starting to feel recovered from Bataan, so I decided to ride some hills on the way home. Didn’t break any records but I did get three pretty significant climbs: Perigrin/Blodgett Peak, Flying W/Rossmere, and Flying W again. Legs felt a bit tired, but I was able to get my heart rate up to lactate threshold, so I must be recovering. I also stretched when I got home. (Hard to do when dinner is sitting on the table).

Friday started out with going down to the basement for strength training and stepping in cat puke. Hey at least its Friday! After hitting the weights did a very refreshing and energetic ride to work. Absolutely beautiful morning!

Saturday CRUD run. Eighteen miles starting from downtown through Bear Creek Park to Cheyenne Canyon, Section 16 to Red Rocks, Garden of the Gods, Sonderman Park back to downtown Colorado Springs. As with all CRUD runs, just too much fun. We had typical Colorado Spring weather: started in a blizzard and by the time we finished, the sun was shining and the snow melting.

Happy CRUD Runners
(Photo by Harsha Nagaraj)

Sunday - long road ride. Beautiful day today, with almost no trace of the early snow storm yesterday. Warmed up for an hour then met Kevin and we headed north for some hills on the Air Force Academy and Roller Coaster road. I felt pretty good and climbed decent, but still have a lot of work to do. After riding three hours with Kevin, continued on with some more hills and a loop around Garden of the Gods. Actually felt strongest the last 1 ½ hours.
Less than two weeks until DawntilDusk . My plan is to really hammer next week, then rest up for the first big mountain bike race of the year. Looking forward to it!!!

Training Log
Mon: Rest
Tues: PM: Bike, 1.5 hrs (Ride home)
Wed: AM: Run, 2.2 hrs (Run to work)
Thurs: PM: Bike, 2.2 hrs (Ride home w/Hills)
Fri: AM: Strength/Bike, 0.9 hrs (Ride work)
Sat: AM: Run, 3 hrs (CRUD Run)
Sun: AM: Bike, 5.4 hrs (Road - 5,560 ft climbing)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great week. Great running with you on sat. See you next Sat. Have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete